Old 23-04-2005, 03:29 PM
jimwas1 jimwas1 is offline
Registered User

Wink

In NJ there are no dams that are totally private and require no inspection as long as the spillway exits to a waterway. The classifications for dams are 1,2,and 3. What you are describing is a class 3 dam with a lake volume that would not exceed the capability of the stream to carry should it be breached. Under the NJDEP regulations, your dam only requires a (yearly?) visual inspection by a civil engineer and an O&M Plan that must be submitted to the NJDEP. If the pond/lake is bounded by another property owner or if there is a volume in the pond that exceeds the capability of the stream should it breach, you then must have all the same including an inspection performed by a qualified dam inspector. Contact the New Jerser Dept. of Environmental Protection, Dam Safety Div. Mr.Dewey Lima at would be a good starting point.

I hope this helps. --- J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdon
Where do I find a private property dam inspector in NJ?
There is land I'm interested in purchasing near Morristown New Jersey
which has a tiny 100 foot diameter 10'foot deep pond with a ten foot
tall embankment and a 1-foot diameter pipe about 5 feet long going thru
that bank to the next property.

Where do I find a POND & DAM INSPECTOR to inspect that?
The home inspector the real estate agent set up said just go to the
town but I'm afraid of the town (I'd rather get a private assessment
first).

I don't even know what to look for in my searches (hydraulic engineer?
dam inspector? pond inspector? civil engineer? waterway engineer?)

Whoever they are, I need to ask those dam people if they think the
embankment & outflow pipe is structurally sound and what it might need
to fix it.

Any help for me?