Old 23-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Phil L

Kay wrote:
:: In article , Phil
:: L writes
::: ...in my front garden, literally hundreds of them...is there any
::: point in trying to introduce them to my whitefly in the
::: greenhouse?
::
:: I don't know that they eat whitefly, but no harm in trying.
::
::: Will LB's live in a greenhouse?
::
:: In theory they will. Suppliers of biological controls will sell you
:: ladybird larvae. Keep the windows shut until they've laid eggs else
:: they'll just fly away if they don't like it.
::
I've put one onto an infested plant to try, it didn't seem too interested
though...

::: and more to the point, will they eat
::: whitefly?...I've lost half a dozen fuchsia cuttings and a few
::: chilli plants inside a week to whitefly,
::
:: Really? I get heavy infestations, but they seem to do less damage
:: than, say, red spider or even aphids.
::
Upon closer inspection, they may be greenfly or aphids (I'm not too well up
on insect identification)
What brought my attention to them in the first place was hundreds of what I
thought were dead ones on the compost underneath the infected leaves....I
think these may be egg casings or similar but the actual insects themselves
don't look white, they have a green tinge to them.

:: Are you sure you don't have a red spider infestation as well as the
:: whitefly?
::

no red spiders, there are one or two minute spiders who have built webs
amongst the plantpots, but I'm leaving these in as they are catching the
flies as they fall off the plant.

:: have you tried the yellow sticky fly papers? And butterwort
:: (insectivorous plant) seem to like them.
::

I've not tried anything apart from marigolds...where do you get that yellow
sticky stuff from? - what's it called?

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004