Old 23-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Mike Lyle

Andrew Newton wrote:
I've tried searching the net for some plans for a friend who wants

make a compost bin that looks like a beehive. He thinks that he may
have seen the plans in a gardening book by Geoff Hamilton.

Sorry to be vague but any help appreciated

I imagine he's thinking of that "cute" but not very useful WBC hive
with outward-sloping layers. The following link will lead to
information and, indirectly, construction details:
http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/technical/wbc1.htm

If I were using that style to make a compost bin, I'd want to join
two together to get a goodish size. It should be easy enough to fake,
leaving an uninterrupted space inside. Using western red cedar would
be very expensive, so I'd consider the possibility of using modern
plastic or treated sawn weatherboard.

--
Mike.