Old 23-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Mike

"Andrew Newton" wrote in message
I've tried searching the net for some plans for a friend who wants to make

compost bin that looks like a beehive. He thinks that he may have seen the
plans in a gardening book by Geoff Hamilton.

Sorry to be vague but any help appreciated

Andrew

Andrew I have made quite a few of these and I can give you the dimensions
and a cutting list, BUT, you need to really coat them in preservative and
dry them out at the end of the season and recoat them unless you are going
to make them out of really good timber, in which case they are going to cost
megga bucks.

150 x 15mm sawn timber
cut 4 pieces 660 mm long and taper the top side to 625 mm
join with suitable length of 35mm x 20mm protruding 20mm from the bottom and
recessed 20 mm from the top to stack

Top made from 150mm Feather edge boarding.
front of top 150mm x 15mm sawn, but reduced to 80 mm at the sides to form
slope..

I made some with lift off top (Most successful) some with brass hinges and
some with metal hinges :-((((

To ensure uniformity and to make them interchangeable, I actually made
Aluminium plates drilled in appropriate places as jigs but I believe I have
thrown these away when I was clearing my garage out. (I will check tomorrow
when I get the car out)

Advice. Well preserve timber AFTER cutting. Then do it again. Assemble then
paint white with a Stone Paint because this gives depth.

Do they look good?

"I hope you have adequate Insurance when I get stung by your Bees" from my
neighbour when I put one in the FRONT garden :-))))

Hope that helps. Please come back if I can help any more :-))
Mike