Old 23-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Mike Lyle

Yellow heads are flowers only and therefore will not grow. Need to
change to 'clocks' to seed.

But, by heaven, they're determined to! A chopped-off flower will turn
itself into a clock overnight. The female dandelion is a fine warning
to all males with a proper sense of self-preservation not to offer
our feeble resistance.

And Phil, you aren't going to get compost between now and next month,
whatever you do, or whatever you use. Grass clippings are too wet to
deliver the goods as quickly as mixed material: the smelly
cow-dung-like mush they produce on their own excludes the air we need
for compost-making; putting them in a plastic bag will only make it
worse. (Come to that, pee will make it worse still: there's loads of
moisture and nitrogen in there already.) You could end up with a
small quantity of nourishing silage if you let the grass get half dry
first; but it wouldn't keep a cow going for a day! (I've actually
used gone-wrong silage for composting, and it made decent stuff, but
it took a long time.) For compost, it's important to mix grass
cuttings with drier airy material.

--
Mike.