Old 23-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Cowboy

Tammy wrote:
Hello,

When I was a kid, I used to pick dewberries near my country home near
Victoria. My Mom would make dewberry cobbler with them.

I've lived out of the state for about ten years, and I've been back for
a few months. My mom is coming to visit next weekend, and I sooooo
want to surprise her with some dewberries. I know it's getting to be
the perfect time of year for them.

Does anyone know where a good area to find dewberries is? I live in
Cedar Park, and I'm thinking that I'll just find some rural roads, and
look along the fence line. I just know that I'm going to look in all
the wrong places, because I want this too much. Any tips?

Thanks,
Tammy

They grow profusely along fences and railroad tracks in the
Bastrop/Smithville area. Take 71 to Bastrop, turn South on 304 towards
Gonzales, then back East on 535 (there's another road before that to the
North, can't remember name). These roads travel along railroad tracks -
any of the dirt roads crossing the tracks are likely areas to cruise.

We ived on 150 acres in Kovar area for two years and the place was
covered in Dewberries. My wife made cakes, cobblers, pies, and froze
them for later.

Sure miss that.

Cowboy