Old 24-04-2005, 12:58 AM
World Traveler

Diana: I think PSL/Stuart/Fort Pierce are nice locations, on the leading
edge of the major development -- PSL is about at the stage that Palm Beach
County was when we bought there in the early '90s, but you have to wonder
what it'll look like in 10 years. But even here in "remote" Highlands
County I'm only 3 miles from Publix and Wynn Dixie, same distance to Ace
Hardware -- but I'm a lot further away from major cultural events (Sebring
12 hour race doesn't qualify --).

We've never been reluctant to drive, and actually will be at the Mounts
plant sale in WPB on Sunday, and we occasionally eat at a large Chinese
buffet on US1 in the PSL area. But it's nice to have the additional land,
space for gardens, lake front, etc.

Rush hour in Lake Placid is TWO pickup trucks stopped at the traffic
light --

Regards --

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
k.net...
From Port St. Lucie:

We love it here. Yes, there has been explosive growth since we moved here
in
late 1999, but the city was underpopulated prior to that. We live on what
is
called a "greenbelt", a swath of water which is part of an extensive
network
of non-navigatible canals. It is 100' wide (behind our property, so
provides a good buffer between neighbors), and is home to a great variety
of
wild life, birds of all kinds, large and small, turtles, etc. We have the
occasional eagle, hawks of course, an owl or two that we have heard but
not
yet seen, painted buntings, you name it. The occasional bobcat sends
Casper
the Wonder Cat running from the screen proch into the bedroom. (Way to go,
brave kitty!)

Would we like to have a little more land than what we have? Probably yes,
but we don't want big acreage either - to take care of - so we are happy
here. If we were to move north west it would be essential to have a larger
plot, because I would insist on a greenhouse due to the colder weather. As
things are, we added on to our screened area a few years ago, and we are
always looking for new ways to maximize growing areas.

Personally, I think the Homestead area is totally funky and wonderful, and
has retained its rural atmosphere despite being convenient to services,
but
we won't be moving any time soon. I can understand why WT likes the rural
life, and respect it too. But we like our conveniences; it's nice to be
able
to travel for five minutes - literally - to a supermarket. And probably
most
of all, we don't want to be 30 miles away from a nail or a screw, let
alone
having to travel an extra hundred miles to go play.

Bottom line: it's all a matter of one's priorities, isn't it? The Miami
and
Fort Lauderdale areas have been congested since I lived there in the 70's,
so nothing is new there. Palm Beach County has been crowded for a long
time
too. St. Lucie County is making some mistakes - we need to change mayors
here in Port St. Lucie before he unwisely spends any more money on his
beloved "City Center" in an area where few will go - but that can happen
anywhere.

Happy in Port St. Lucie, I remain

Your Faithful Correspondent,

Diana Kulaga