Old 25-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Betsy

Default Dogwoods dying

I inherited two rather spindly looking dogwoods when I moved into this house
almost 5 years ago. I adore dogwoods, but these are tall, thinnish, too
close together, and all the lower branches had either died out or been
stupidly pruned.

They are native white Florida types. I am pretty sure they have
anthracnose. (Baltimore area)

Two questions:

First, has anyone ever successfully saved a dogwood from this disease? Is
there any treatment I should try?

Second, if there is no hope, and they will ultimately succumb, what would
happen if I planted a new Kousa dogwood under them, to fill in as they die
off? Would that be smart or dumb?

Can Kousas be pruned somewhat to have the same elegant, oriental type shape
of the Florida species, or would that be foolish?

P.S. All the local dogwoods look pretty bad this year. Are some years hard
on them? We've had a horrible, wet, long winter.