Old 24-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Popeye

Rod wrote:

Thanks Rod, that's helpful.

My problem is that I sense that the seedlings are too small to handle
and so I let them grow on, 'till they're too large to transplant without
root damage! Illustrated by my buying the modules and ericacious this
weekend but not having the heart to 'dig up' the seedlings! Everything
I've read tells me to wait for the true leaves. By which time they have
a fairly developed root system.

Your advice gives me the confidance to lift them with the seed leaves
and get them growing on. Thank you.
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:25:25 +0100, Popeye
wrote:

Thanks Martin

I guess I should prick them out as soon as I can handle them (by the
first true leaves? - is it not possible to hold them, carefully by the
first pair?). I've looked this morning and I have at least a dozen now,
they're tiny but well spaced in the pot.

I had intended to grow them on in a group in the garden, but having
heard what you advise I'll try various sites.

One of my replies seems to have gone awol so here goes again. I prick
out most seedlings as soon as I can handle them by the cotyledons
(never by the stems) rather than waiting for true leaves. Using the
finger and thumb, go in below the cotyledons then lift and close the
finger and thumb gathering the 2 cotyledons together, then get your
knife blade or whatever you're using well under the seedlings, gently
lift it up and wiggle it a bit until the compost falls away from the
roots so you can tease out the seedling without feeling any roots
snap.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.