Old 25-04-2005, 09:26 AM
BAC

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"gavin" wrote in message

Stuff deleted:-

I don't think that you will be able to stop foxes from using your
garden. They are very determined and soon get used to whatever you use
to discourage them.

Many years ago I dunked used teabags in an expensive liquid (about £8 a
tin, I think) which I was assured would dispel foxes, and placed them
around young heathers which they were digging up. I watched through my
bedroom window and saw the foxes approach cautiously and after a short
while they started playing games with the teabags.

Hedgehogs are to be encouraged and if it were not for their tiny and
inoffensive droppings you would not know that they had visited you. I
have been feeding them for many many years, but none have turned up so
far this season. Do not give them milk or fish based food.

We used to have regular visits from hedgehogs but have not seen any for

some
time now.

Hedgehogs get a brief mention in
http://www.jncc.gov.uk/pdf/pub05_ukm...Text_final.pdf
which attempts to chart mammal population trends in the UK and which says
that there seems to have been a long term decline in the hedgehog
population, particularly in the East and in riparian locations.