Old 25-04-2005, 10:07 AM
doug

"Mike" wrote in message
The process of preservation was called the "Reaping Process".
The bark was stripped off and the poles put into big cylindrical iron

tubes
and the tubes were then sealed.

You omitted to explain that the chamber was then sucked of air to form a
vacuum, which of course sucked out air from the timber as well, so that
when
the creosote was sprayed in, it penetrated the poles as well.

City & Guilds Line Plant Practice "A"

Mike
another one of "God's Poor Orphans" now well and truly retired ;-))

*******
Well done Mike, lad!.
Aye , I've got that C'n'G, 'n a few others!. Started as a Labourer in '47
straight out of the RAF..
Did the lot, workwise, on the job. Gangs, Exchanges, Repeater Stns.
Finished up Senior T.O. Looked after Lancaster Repeater Station then came
back to Barrow as a T2A again due to wife's health. (Lost my rank and
seniority, but worked my way up to the S.F.I.O job). Very nice!, wandering
around West Cumberland and the Lake District every day.
Sadly, I lost the Lass last August.
Best wishes to you Mike, and to all.
Doug.
********