Old 25-04-2005, 10:28 AM
doug

"doug" wrote in message

"Sla#s" wrote in message

"Bodge" wrote in message
www.crocus.co.uk/alanshowto/nodigbed/
All the information you need as recommended by Alan.

"Sla#s" wrote in message
Should the boards used to separate path from cultivated area in a
modern
"raised bed" system be treated with anything or just left natural?

Alan says 'pressure treated'
The RHS books fail to mention it and it didn't Google

Thanks
Slatts

********
"Pressure treated"?.
You've come to the right lad.
Way back, I climbed, plotted, mapped and tested for over a year, many
hundreds of telephone poles.
Records had been lost during the war.
The following is for information only and cannot be applied to gardening.
Telewag poles, (my affectionate name for them), are of Scots Fir wood. I
have worked on all sizes, even up to sixty footers. Some of the trunk
routes (City to City communications and some redundant) had been installed
at the turn of the century and very few were condemned due to rot.
Further, - the least rot was always in the bottom end below ground level.
That was because some of the preservative (creosote) had leached down,
through the long years, and soaked the full length and width of the stub
of the pole.
The process of preservation was called the "Reaping Process".

********
Bang goes my C &G pass mark on "Line Plant Practice!."
On final line in above, - (The process of.....)
Delete "Reaping".
Add "Reuping".
Sorry, Mike!.
Doug.
********
The bark was stripped off and the poles put into big cylindrical iron
tubes and the tubes were then sealed.
Creosote was poured in and the tubes subjected to high pressurise for some
time. They were then taken out and stacked, horizontally with separating
battens between to facilitate the drying.
According to the size and diameter of the poles penetration of the
creosote was roughly about from one inch to three or four inches. the
inside "core" thus left was untouched and was just the plain wood as it
was before the tree was felled.
Just after the period of testing I have described a new process was
introduced. The poles came with a coating of a thin yellowy preservative,
and I've racked my brain but cannot for the life of me remember what its
name was.
Remind, Eh! - I'm retired now!. And no creosote is going to be allowed in
*my* garden!.
Doug.

********