Old 25-04-2005, 10:33 AM
bigboard

Phil L wrote:

Also, does anyone have any experience of composting inside a binbag? - if
I seal lawncuttings and a little soil (and some pee!) inside a black bag,
will it compost any quicker than on my heap,

No, you'll get some fairly unpleasant silage. Sealing grass clippings on
their own inside plastic bags is one way to make silage on a small scale.
For compost, you mustn't exclude air.

If you find you are a bit overburdened with grass clippings that don't
compost well on their own, you could do what I do. Before mowing, I scatter
all my prunings and clippings on the lawn. You don't need very much at all
to make a difference. This mixture composts very quickly indeed and will
get very hot, even on a small scale. If you can get your fork in every few
days and give it a good stir, it will compost even faster.

Binbags are not really big enough to compost in effectively, but if you do
use them, keep the tops open and put them somewhere where they won't fill
up with rain.

Lastly, if your compost is mainly grass clippings, don't pee on it! Grass
clippings are already high in nitrogen, and don't need any extra.

which is now just a foot of
grass clipings, with some partially decayed caedboard underneath...I want
to use some in the hanging baskets next month (late May - we get frost in
early - mid May up here)

TIA

--
While money doesn't buy love, it puts you in a great bargaining position.