Old 25-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Duncan Heenan" writes:
| "spakker" wrote in message
| "ken cohen" wrote in message
| om...
|
| Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
| stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
| get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so
| presumably has a high clay content, as you'd expect in North London.
|
| I've just planted some gunnera and fatsia japonica in a similar though
| sheltered place-I dont think the big leaves like direct sun. A few other
| plants may well survive but getting them established will be the hard
| part.
|
| I've managed to grow a pyrocantha on one such place. It's slow but gets
| there.

I think that there are a lot of cross-purposes postings on this
thread. If the north wall really IS "very shaded" by north wall
standards in London, I stand by my remark "non-variegated ivy, or
nothing" as far as climbers go (and there aren't many non-climbers
that are suitable). However, if it is less shaded, I agree that
there are a lot more options.

No north wall in the UK gets ANY sunlight, so that doesn't clarify
anything, but does hint that it might not be as dark as I was
assuming.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.