Old 25-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Derek Broughton

scs0 wrote:

My pH is around 9 and I cannot get it to go down. In about a week's
time I've put in 3 bottles of Beckett pH Lower and now I've been adding
a granular pH reducer with no success.

The pond is roughly 3600 gallons. Even though the pond is about 3
weeks old and young ponds can show screwy pH values, I cannot explain
the failure to reduce the pH because:

What on earth is the point of even _thinking_ about pH in a three week old
pond? In another three weeks, whether you do anything or not, the pH will
be different, anyway. Give it some time to settle, _then_ worry about pH.

In any even, "pH Down", "pH Lower", or any of those things seem to have just
about zero effect on ponds.

If your alkilinity isn't changing, you haven't added enough acid to move the
pH anyway.

As for the fact that the "rock border is not limestone", you'd have been
better off if it was. Limestone won't raise your pH to anything your fish
or plants can't handle, and it helps cut down on swings. There's nothing
wrong with a pH of 8 to 8.5.

'm starting to get angry about this and I'm dumping larger quantities
of pH reducer in the pond.**I'm*afraid*that*something*might*be
preventing these chemicals from doing what they're supposed to be doing
then all of a sudden my pH will drop to 5!

Probably.
--
derek