Old 25-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Mike Lyle

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:12:46 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Klara contains these words:

In message , Janet
Baraclough writes
But did you really call them scoobidoos then?

Yes, really :-)

I find it strangely reassuring that what with gameboys and
everything, this has come around again...

Me too. So has "jacks", apparently. We used to play that for

hours
on end with 10 little star-shaped metal things and a small bouncy
ball.

AKA "five stones"

In Godzone we actually sometimes played knucklebones with real dead
bones! We never quite knew the official rules, though. I'm
reminded -- and this _is_ relevant to garden use -- of the routine by
one of the stand-ups (Billy Connolly maybe, but I've fallen out with
him) about boys intently watching girls playing hopscotch, trying in
ever-increasing bafflement to work out what on earth the rules were,
let alone the _object_ of the pastime (a bit like watching American
football, I suppose).

--
Mike.