Old 25-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Sacha

On 25/4/05 20:58, in article
, "Cheryl"
wrote:

Hi

Just wondering if anyone could help me.
I seem to have some kind of pests eating my plants. A few weeks ago I
planted 3 small bedding plants which were soon one by one completely eaten
stalks and all!
Last weekend I planted 6 tomato plants (different part of the garden) and
again one by one they have been completely eaten. I have seen no sign of any
slugs in the garden so dont think its them.
Anyone have any ideas who I have to thank for eating my plants!, could it be
ants?

It's early still to be putting out either bedding plants or tomato plants,
so if the slugs hadn't got 'em there's still a good chance frost will, or
that hammering rain will devastate them! We're advising customers to wait
until mid-May before planting out, so those buying such plants now are
keeping them in frost free greenhouses or on a spare room window sill etc.
When you do plant out - assuming you're going to start again - either
scatter small, sharp gravel round your plants so that slugs can't find a way
through, making sure the circle is well away from any leaves touching the
ground and acting as a stairway! Or try something like Sluggit which you
water on to kill the slugs. Remove the corpses in the morning.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk