Old 26-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Robert

In message , Margret
writes
My cousin has a badger living near a little stream at the back of her house.
Will he do any damage to her garden? She likes having him there; but thinks
she may have to put some protection around her plants. What do you think?

Just one badger? - more often than not they live in clans. We have a
sett near us and get visited by five or six badgers most nights but they
rarely cause any damage. Occasionally a badger will decide that it is
essential to dig for grubs and worms in a lawn, this usually takes the
form of a one to three quite small scrapes in a relatively small area of
2 or 3 square metres, for a few nights. The 'damage' takes a couple of
minutes to put right. Twice in the last eight years it has become a bit
of a problem and we solved it by laying a piece of green plastic coated
wire netting over the area for a few nights - surprisingly the badger
did not move its digging activities to another area in the garden.

The only time they invaded one of our shrub beds was when they decided
to dig a latrine - we put a rag soaked in foul smelling Renardine on a
short stick on the site which immediately discouraged them.

Your cousin will probably find the following of use:
http://www.badger.org.uk/questions/b...our-garden.pdf

--
Robert