Old 26-04-2005, 01:44 AM
RichardS

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , RichardS
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
news

having this morning read the ingredients on a whole shelf full of
assorted fertilisers including rose feed and tomato feed, they all seem
to be relatively high in potassium, and it won't make a lot of
difference which you use. Rose fertilisers seem to be stronger overall
than tomato fertilisers, so presumably you would use them less
frequently.

Thanks, Kay. So high potassium is what I'm after? If so I'll go with
whichever is highest of my rose or tom fertilisers.

Not necessarily ;-)

Search for Dave Poole's recent post on the topic - sorry, I can't
remember which thread, and although I 'kept' it I can't find it at this
second.

Gist was that phosphorous initiated the production of lots of flowers,
though once the flowers are developing, high potassium helps their
development. But since what is available in both tomato fertiliser and
rose fertiliser is high potassium, then it doesn't make much difference
which of them you use. I suppose advice might be to go for whichever
high potassium fertiliser has the highest phoshorous compared with
nitrogen content?

Thanks again - I'll find that thread. I did actually search google before
posting the q, but as ever, probably missed the result due to incorrect
search terms (bah - and I call myself a professional programmer!!!).

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk