Old 26-04-2005, 03:26 AM
Mike Prager

From what I've seen, fighting anthracnose on dogwoods is a
losing battle. Often the problem is compounded by borers and
possibly by other conditions as well.

Are some years harder on them? Yes, it seems (in this area at
least, a bit south of you & near the coast) years with
hurricanes are very hard on them, especially trees in the
open. The salt spray (even a small amount), wind, and general
stress (like much too much water for days) seems to weaken
them further.

Although most in this area have succumbed, a few have
survived, and it would be great if they were selected and
cloned for the nursery trade.

I haven't much experience of what is good to replace them.
I've got one Viburnum plicatum tomentosum ('Shasta' viburnum),
and it provides a large flowering shrub at the same time as
dogwood. It should do well in your area.

Best of luck.

Mike Prager
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)