Old 26-04-2005, 07:45 AM
presley

you could try dwarf alberta spruce - it would probably prefer some sun, but
might tolerate a fair amount of shade and dark, if there is some reflected
light somewhere around it. Otherwise, the suggestion about cut evergreen
boughs is a good one. Our Christmas wreaths easily last 2 months out doors,
and they might have been cut in early November for all we know when we get
them.
"Christine O'Meally" wrote in message
I have a window box that's in virtual darkness that I have not been very
successful with.... I hate planting that many annuals every year, it seems
like a waste. And then in the winter, it just looks awful to have nothing
in it, but to tell you the truth, I do nothing outside after the
temperature drops below 40 degrees (and I'm in zone 5, so that means pretty
much from late October on). So I thought it might be nice to put in some
dwarf or midget conifers as the primary plant and then fill in with annuals
or something else. BUT the garden center had some lovely midget mugho
pines, Alberta spruce and arborvitae, but they all said "full sun." I've
had some other "full sun" plants that have done well in other parts of my
property that are part-shade (sedum, for one) and was wondering if these
would die if I put them in there....

If this is a really bad idea, does anyone have any ideas (pictures would
be nice) for creating a shady window box? The space is huge - about 7'
long.

Chris O'Meally