Old 26-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Crashj

On or about 25 Apr 2005 11:13:01 -0700, "scs0" wrote
something like:

I tried an aquatic plant soil once, I think it was Scotts, and it was
horrible. I had expected it to be granular clay that would disolve
when wet, but the light chunks didn't dissolve at all. It was like
trying to pot an aquatic plant in styrofoam balls. The stuff was too
light and therefore had pitiful holding power. I can't believe its
still on the market.

That might have been vermiculite, which should not be on the market
anymore due to the asbestos content. Too bad, it made a wonderful pool
and pond liner.

Oh, and my pots aren't completely sand. I noticed that gravel always
seems to sink into the planting medium so since gravel makes an
adequate potting medium I mixed gravel into the pots. (It's probably a
75% sand to 25% gravel ratio though)

AHA! Check your gravel for alkalinity by dropping some in vinegar and
watching for bubbles.
--
Crashj