Old 26-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Bruce W.1

Mook23 wrote:
"Bruce W.1" wrote in message

Sometimes I have to go out of town for a month or two. I'm trying to
figure out a way to keep my house plants watered.

I've tried the ceramic cones that have a water tube attached. This works
pretty well, but only for a few weeks. I think hydrostatic pressure
affects this system too much. It can pull more water than is needed.

Also I've experienced mold growth in my water reservoir. I'm not sure if
there's a solution to this, or if it's really a problem. Is this mold
harmful to plants?

Seems like there should be a simpler way of distributing water, like with
a cotton rope. The toilet reservoir might make a good self-replenishing
water reservoir.

Has anyone devised a way of automatically watering house plants for two or
three months?

Thanks for your help.

I think you could take care of the mould growth with a little hydrogen
peroxide mixed into the resevoir. I had some mould growing in my little
greenhouse because things got too damp, a little spray of H2O2 cleared it
right up.

The only thing I've used to keep mold out of water is chlorine, but
that's not very plant-friendly, and it evaporates into the air in a few
days, or so I've been told.

Hydrogen peroxide? Is this plant-friendly? Does this also evaporate?
Can you recommend an amount?

Thanks.