Old 26-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitz Mcgee
The width of the mound is no more than a foot or two. The sides are 45 degrees or more. It is on the west side of the property so the winds could tear it up. Little to no lake effect 20 to 30 miles west of the Lake. I doubt I could plant on the west side of the mound because of the property line.

Spitz,
A foot or two isn't enough to plant shrubs or trees. You will either have to level the berm or add more to it. Don't know what to tell you about the wind other then you may need to stake the trees for a couple of years so their roots can anchor them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitz Mcgee
I am worried about the hedge driving deep roots to the level of the rest of the land. And I worried about pests that might make my hedge "toothy"

Thanks Again

I have no clue what you mean about driving deep roots to the level of the rest of the land, but in a 'berm' that is only a foot or two wide, it doesn't sound doable. You may need a consult with a landscape designer.

As to pests, I would suggest you choose plant material that tends not to be bothered by pests. Native plants would do best if this is your worry. Don't choose some exotic that could have problems. That is why I made the plant material suggestions that I did. Many are natives or tend to be hardy.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.