Old 26-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Broadback

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Ok, I know I can use sticks or netting, but exactly how is it done?
Assuming your row is, say, 4" wide there do you place the supports? If
sticks do you push them into the centre, or along the outsides, perhaps
leaning in. If netting where and how do you position that? Surely if
on the outside come harvest time it will be difficult to reach the peas.
TIA

I use sticks (cut from fallen trees, not bamboo canes). I plant the
peas in a drill 4" wide, cover and firm them down, then push the trimmed
sticks in down the middle of the row, about 6" apart (windy location).
Okay, I probably ram a few pea seeds to oblivion but it makes no
difference.

When you're selecting and trimming the sticks, the ideal is to have
a robust central stem of the height appropriate to the pea type, with a
clear section at the bottom and plenty of strong sideshoots all the way
up, which I trim back to about 6 ". When pushing the smooth end in the
ground (as deep as possible) I turn the shoots sideways to mesh or
interlock them with the adjacent stick's sideshoots. Sounds a lot
fancier than the time it takes. As the peas climb, they will lock the
whole row of sticks together anyway.

Some people delay putting in the sticks until the peas are showing, but
I find putting them in straight away is better because it prevents birds
scratching about in the pea-drill.

Janet.

Thank you all. Have you noticed that the advice normally available is
very detailed in complex matters. However they always seem to believe
that you have a fair basic understanding. Like cooking recipes, say
things like Blanche and Saute expecting you to know.