Old 26-04-2005, 07:07 PM
js1

On 2005-04-26, Jürgen Beisser wrote:

According to German standard literature, 200 - 300 mg/l are lethal for fish.
You should try to have less than 50 mg/l, preferably less than 30 mg/l in
your tank. You wrote "nitrates for plants", so you probably mean that higher
amounts of nitrates are good for plants. This might not be true. The same
literature states that excess nitrate concentrations will decelerate the
growth rate of both fish and plants.

I've heard and read 5ppm (mg/L) is about as much nitrates plants can
use. Any more than that is excessive.

http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jr...ry%20pmdd.html