Old 27-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Suzy O

Another possibility -- I've actually seen sparrows eating the succulent
young leaves of my pea plants, while I stood only a couple of feet away.

And, it's really a good idea to wait till you know who the varmits are
before you treat, even with an organic product.

A word about using cooking type vegetable oils, such as canola .... they are
more viscous (thicker or glopier, for lack of a better word) than the
horticulture oils and "burn" some plants, so be sure to check the label to
make sure your particular plant is not susceptible to the phyto (sunlight
based) burn than can result.

Please let us know who the culprit is when you find out. I'm very curious

Suzy O

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
There is an organic product called Pyola that I've seen in my Gardens
Alive
catalog...it's Canola oil and some other natural stuff mixed together in a
spray. It coats the plants and smothers any insects and their eggs...you
might check it out..I think they have a website www.gardensalive.com. I
would think it's kid friendly since it's all natural.

Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

"Bear Drummer" wrote in message
ups.com...
My six year old daughter has a garden box all her own. It is a brick
box along one side of our porch, up above the ground by about 2.5 feet,
with strands of twine reaching up to the roof... she has morning
glories, moon flowers, and oriental sugar peas (with a few marigolds
thrown in). The leaves, espicially the sugar peas, are being eaten by
something I can't find.

I need a way to treat this problem that is kid friendly, since it is
cared for by a 6 year old (and my 1 year old son "helps"). Since they
are in daily contact with the plants, etc... I am worried about using
a poison powder....

Anyone have any ideas to try?

BearDrummer