Old 27-04-2005, 01:32 AM
andrewpreece

"p00kie" wrote in message

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
I want a tree for my front garden which will provide all year round
interest:

Maximum Height: about 25ft
Maximum Spread: about 20ft
Quite light airy foliage which won't cast too dense shade
Soil is about neutral and reasonably fertile, having been an arable

field
up until 3 years ago.

I'm looking for good colour all year round from a combination of

flowers,
leaves and/or berries. Possibly something native to be maximum benefit

wildlife. If that's too difficult, I'd consider combining it with come
nice climbers.

Not much to ask but any suggestions?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Kashmir Rowan

I looked into this last year and also found the Rowan to be a good choice,
flowers
in the spring ( not spectacular, but hey... ), light airy attractive foliage
in summer
followed in autumn by good leaf colour then berries. You do need to have a
good
look at all the Rowans available though, as there are quite a few
differences
in leaf colour/autumn colouring/berry colour/berry durability etc. There is
also a
fastigiate version available. Joseph Rock is another good variety. There are
at least
seven varieties.

Andy.