Old 27-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitz Mcgee
So the berm is bad, it runs north and south on the west edge of the property. Yes it is tall an narrow. Funny a large mulberry has voluteered right on top of it. What I meant by the driving deep roots is that this berm is so tall and narrow that I was concerned that the plants wouldn't reach enough moist soil with out deep roots. Thank again for working through my confusion.

Spitz
Spitz, you are very welcome. You will want to dig that mulberry out yesterday! The longer you wait to plant the more you will have to deal with invasives. Mother nature doesn't like blank spaces and she will fill it with plants of her choice, not yours.

With the berm running north and south on the west side, you should have full sun on both sides, with the stronger sun on the west side of the berm.

Plants that like good drainage will appreciate the raised height of the soil. You might want to consider having it leveled and widened at the top for planting and easier maintenance. You might be able to decrease the angle of the slope as well. That way you could put the evergreen trees on the top and the shrubs, and any other plant material, on the slope. You could either rent a mini bobcat or have it done by a pro. You may also need to plant some groundcovers so you won't have weed problems over time. It will also give the area a more finished look. Try and pick 3 or 4 natives (you don't want too many or it will look too busy), or the creeping thymes, that won't invade the world and will help make maintenance easier for you. They'll help to hold the soil in place on the slope and keep weeds at bay. The native Chrysogonum virginianum aka 'green and gold' isn't evergreen but will surely keep out the weeds. I've found that it's only real requirement is to make sure it isn't covered with wet leaves in the winter. For your evergreen trees, it would make a lovely carpet.
http://classygroundcovers.com/item--...y-Pint%7D--155
http://www.tripplebrookfarm.com/ipla...rysogonum.html

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.