Old 27-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Dick

On 2005-04-26, wrote:
I have an algae problem, and I have plants that I don't want to poison
getting rid of the algae... it is a green algae in the goldfish tank,
and a brown algae in the danio/guppie tank... are there some breedsof
fish who live off algaee that won't decimate my other plants? which
can be good with tropical vs. goldfish tanks?

http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

When one of my tanks had Black Hair Algae, I found live bearers such
as Platties and Mollies would eat the new growth. I pulled and
cleaned all the longer growth. I can't say their efforts alone would
keep the new growth under control because I added 9 Siamese Algae
Eaters, but the live bearers definitely were eating algae and they are
among the first to go after algae pellets.

dick