Old 27-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from undergroundbob contains
these words:

I live next to an old abandoned football pitch which me and the
neighbours have been sneakily turning into a wildflower meadow / birch
grove over the last few years. Whenever I need grit, I just go out and
dig up a bucket of 'blaze', but it occurred to me the other day that I
have no idea what 'blaze' actually is! Does anyone know the origins of
the scrapy red granular stuff? And why is it called blaze? Is it
because when you fall over on it, it feels like someone has burned off
your outer layers of skin??

I always thought it was crushed-up recycled bricks, and that
accounted for its injurious nature :-( But I'm sure cormaic's website
will have the proper answer. www.pavingexpert.com/

Tiles, perhaps, but almost all bricks are soft (by stone standards)
and blaze clearly is not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.