Old 27-04-2005, 10:40 AM
J Jackson

Mike Lyle wrote:
: wrote:
: Yellow heads are flowers only and therefore will not grow. Need to
: change to 'clocks' to seed.

: But, by heaven, they're determined to! A chopped-off flower will turn
: itself into a clock overnight. The female dandelion is a fine warning
: to all males with a proper sense of self-preservation not to offer
: our feeble resistance.

Except, having both male and female parts present on the same individual,
male and female as used above has no meaning. I believe I recall reading
that the Dandelion seed is parthengentically produced and doesn't need
fertilising, so being able to go from flower head to seed may produce
viable seed. I've certainly noticed that weeded flowering dandelions
left in a pile turn to "clocks" over a few days.