Old 27-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Spider

Kay wrote in message
In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

I want a tree for my front garden which will provide all year round
interest:

Maximum Height: about 25ft
Maximum Spread: about 20ft
Quite light airy foliage which won't cast too dense shade
Soil is about neutral and reasonably fertile, having been an arable
field up
until 3 years ago.

I'm looking for good colour all year round from a combination of

flowers,
leaves and/or berries. Possibly something native to be maximum benefit

wildlife. If that's too difficult, I'd consider combining it with come

nice
climbers.

Not much to ask but any suggestions?

One of the rowans (birds prefer the berries of UK native ones), or
there's lovely crataegus prunifolia (a bit slower growing than rowan,
IME, but the berries last longer)

Of course, one way in which trees can 'benefit wildlife' is by providing
berries for birds - in which case 'long lasting berries' and
'benefitting wildlife' are slightly contradictory ;-)
--
Kay

Hi Janet and Kay,

Actually, you're both right .. sort of. All the books say C. prunifolia has
persistent red berries. My local birds *totally* disagree! This tree also
has huge thorns - good for deterring cats (which I love, but I provide for
the birds, too).
C. x persimilis 'Prunifolia' (to give its full name) would be my
recommendation: it has typical 'May' blossom which attracts many insects,
fabulous fiery foiliage which attracts my neighbours(!), and those great
berries. It is also polution tolerant, in case that is an issue. Mine is
growing on heavy SE London clay.

Spider