Old 27-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Stan The Man

In article , Kay
wrote:

In article , Stan The Man
writes
Professional gardeners keep watering thoroughly even while it's raining
since most of our showers don't deliver enough.

That is not universally true, or necessary, throughout the UK.

I'll take the point. But it is true in 95% percent of the UK.

I'm very surprised at that, living as I do in Yorkshire - my soil does
not dry out beyond the top inch or so, and whereas I need to water
shallow rooted things for the first week or so in summer, there is no
need for anything other than an initial watering for shrubs.

Then you are in the 5% (of the population, not land mass) who don't
need to supplement what nature provides. But ask the head gardener at
the next large public or private garden you visit whether and when he
waters new trees and shrubs. And also ask him if he waters when it's
raining. I know a number of them and the great majority continue to
water in all but monsoon weather.

Nor have I come across a nursery which doesn't recommend watering of
newly planted trees and shrubs for at least the first year and usually
two years, as he http://www.crown-nursery.co.uk/after_care.html

And luminaries such as Christopher Lloyd advise watering in the rain,
as he wrote he http://www.pr100.plus.com/Watering.jpg

Nurserymen and growers are good judges. Next time you're out driving in
the rain, see how many sprinkler systems are still running. With
metered supplies, the extra water costs them money but they still need
to do it.

Certainly I've never noticed professional gardeners around here
continuing to water thoroughly.

Living in the SE was quite different, on light soil that would happily
dry out to at least a couple of feet down.