Old 27-04-2005, 02:39 PM
BAC

"Derek Turner" somewhat@odds wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Derek Turner somewhat@odds wrote:

Ken Maughan wrote:

Can anyone suggest a quick-growing, flowering, ground cover plant ...

Vinca minor : the lesser periwinkle

Vinca major eats Vinca minor for breakfast :-) It's not too hard to
keep under control - while it layers in everywhere, it is very shallow
rooted and will not regrow from roots alone. I grow the variety
"oxyloba" (perhaps a geographical variant), which has star-shaped,
deep purple flowers, lighter, less glossy and more pointed leaves,
and is marginally less ambitious. Anyone who wants some is welcome
to drop round.

I grow both and agree that major is more vigorous, it's just that the OP
asked about ground cover and in my limited experience minor stays closer
to the ground while major is more of a 'shrub', given half a chance.

Minor does stay closer to the ground than major (guess that's why it's
called minor!). Either of them does a good job of ground cover, in my
experience, especially if you want something which will do the trick in a
partially or fully shaded location, but which won't climb the trees which
are providing the shade.