Old 27-04-2005, 04:09 PM
William Brown

Default Asparagus harvest

We planted asparagus a few years ago and some of the plants have
survived and prospered. There seem to be two types: one with very thin
spears, and one with very thick spears. I suspect they are female and male.

In any event, we are about to cut some spears from the plant with thick
spears, and I'm wondering whether we should cut all of them, or leave a
few to develop foliage. My wife is walking around, knife in hand,
wanting to cut them all, reasoning that the roots can support
themselves. Do we cut all or a fraction? The plant only has 16 spears.