Old 27-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , gavin wrote:

I live in East Lancashire (Rossendale) and I don't know if this is
significant but the climate here can be "fairly cool" (flipping freezing in
winter!!!) :-) The shade is caused by nest door's conservatory.

Hmm. -10, -15 or colder?

The critical questions about shade are whether there is light and
whether the rain gets there. If the answer is "yes" to both, then
you have little trouble. Many plants are quite happy with no direct
sun and quite a lot of shade, but (effectively) none can take the
near-darkness that heavy shade causes in the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.