Old 27-04-2005, 09:13 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:23:56 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

As long as the "moss" is green, it's probably a good rather than a bad sign.

On the new "spike" -- my guess, too, is that's a new root. You should be
able to tell when it's about a half-inch. If it's a spike, all will stay
green; by that size, a root will start to show white velamen except at the
tip.

The split leaf is most probably due to over-feeding [causes weak new growth
prone to splits]. A lot of plants sold in big-box stores have an
over-abundance of time-release fert. in their pots ... although it could
also be mechanical damage, if it's been bumped or bent while being moved
around??? Usually not a big deal, other than cosmetically.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Thanks Kenni,

The plant has been getting fed with each watering since it stared
blooming. Before blooming it got fed on every second or third or third
or fourth watering. I figure I'll stop feeding (at least for a while)
once the blooms are gone.

I might have bumped the leaf -- although I figure I would have bashed
the larger, more mature leaves before I'd ever come into contact with
the smaller, higher leaf -- but I'm not aware of doing so. I try to be
careful with the silly thing. g

I appreciate the description of the root. If it suddenly turned white,
I'd probably have panicked.
--Vic