Old 27-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Mike Lyle

CK wrote:
[...]
had emailed the BBC in March, enquiring where I should report

about
errors in those books being published by BBC Books but I got no

reply.
[...]

That's naughty: they should have replied, however non-commitally. But
don't expect any practical response from most mass publishers these
days. Books are marketed like cornflakes -- and by the same people --
as "product", and are not really expected to be read with any great
attention, if at all. At least those who sell cornflakes want you to
buy another packet of exactly the same thing, but how often does
anybody buy more than one copy of the same book? As often as not, by
the time a correction gets into the system, the book will be out of
print or the person in charge will have left the company, or both: so
there's nobody who needs to take responsibility, and so nowhere to
send the correction. Very often, the editor won't have been on the
staff of the publisher at all, but doing the job on contract.

--
Mike.