Old 27-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Duncan Heenan wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/4/05 20:52, in article
, "Duncan Heenan"
wrote:

Go Victorian. Plant a Monkeypuzzle Tree! Unusual, evergreen and
virtually vandal proof.

And UGLY!! ;-(

Beauty is in the eye of the monkey.

As a card-carrying member of the monkey clade, I agree that they

are
ugly.

I have planted a Halesia monticola where I want a similar tree;
while it will eventually get too large, its shade is light, and
it probably won't get too large for 50 years (if it does).

Very nice. But, whatever our friend does, he mustn't plant a
monkey-puzzle! They're absolutely revolting, and the older they get,
the more repellent they become. In groups on their native heath,
they're fine; but as specimens in Britain they're inexcusable.

--
Mike.