Old 28-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:49:10 -0500, "Bob Walsh"
wrote:

Vic,

I know -more conflicting info. There are some catts that take a little less
light that might work in a north window. Gold Country Orchids has them. They
are smaller too.
Another group you might look at for low light, easy to grow, is the Phrags.
There are some that also stay small if you want that. (they grow on you.)

Bob

Ok - Start with the words windowsill Catt. Expect something the
right size to grow in a tea cup or just a touch larger. Always
buy in bloom - then you know you like the bloom and that the
plant is large enough to bloom. Expect that some orchids will
re-bloom easier than others. Expect that some plants will take a
year off to adjust to your care and your lighting conditions.

No Gold Country, Alan has a breeding plan to breed just for
windowsill growers. That is why he has 'tea cup size' plants.
They are small enough to be balanced on the windowsill.

Phrags really like more light. Paphs are the lower light of the
two slippers. And phrags go from something that looks very
grassy to something that has a 4' leaf span. So, I will say
here, you have to know what you are picking. If you are buying
in bloom or at least in spike with a fair amount of development
you know what size the plant will be when it blooms. I always
figure a small or young plant can grow another 30%. Some will,
others not.

Where you live makes a difference for that north window. We all
start assuming your in North America. We have members here in
many areas of the world. North light in OZ is South in North Am.

On fertilizer - best advice is weakly -weekly. So that you
respect the species in these hybrids. They developed in the
tropics of the world, not in a waterfall of food. Lower light,
lower food needs.

Humidity is always nice to have. Several plants together help
each other here. An open bowl of water or a splash tray of rocks
that catches the overflow when you water all increase it
marginally and only as a micro climate. In a circle of plants
the centered one will get the most benefit. Any containment will
help increase that. My ML grew in a north greenhouse window. It
was open to the room completely but because the window itself was
a bump out it was contained on the other sides. The open bowls
of water helped keep her plants happy.

As to day and night temp differences... most of us that pay heat
bills allow the house to cool a bit at night. We also say we
sleep better. So unless you set your thermostat to hold 70, the
normal house drops close to the 10-15 degrees at night.

Then there is always. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You
enjoy one. Two would be more fun.
SuE