Old 28-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Magwitch wrote:
Dave Poole muttered:

I must put in a
word for the Tibetan cherry - Prunus serrula.

Some kind person put one of these in our garden about 20 years ago and you
are quite right, it's truly lovely.

However, how much longer will it be around for us to enjoy? Other cherries
I've had seem to succumb after around 30*40 years from one thing or another,
and I'm wondering whether to get a junior partner to take over when it's on
it's way out.

It's very hard to say. Few trees have a lifetime as such, and ones
such as Prunus species almost invariably die due to things like
fungal infections. It will go on until it gets one that carries
it off. But you knew that ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.