Old 28-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
troubleinstore wrote:

My garden is 43 foot long and 19 foot wide and at the moment is cover in
grass and a vast amount of weeds.

Because of health problems suffered by my wife and myself, we are unable to
tend it as one should, so we thought of putting pebble down.

Now I understand that you are supposed to put a permeable membrane down
first and then 10mm pebble on top.

I find it unbelievable that you are contemplating doing this yourself
if you aren't well enough to mow grass. I suggest thinking again.
You might find it more effective to pay someone to mow the grass
than to pay someone to gravel the area over and maintain it thereafter
(no, gravel is NOT maintenance-free).

Question is after the grass has been cutt, do I have to kill all the grass
and weeds (I've got a tub of sodium clorate) and then level the ground or
will the sheer volume of pebble on top of the membrane do this for me.

If it is seriously uneven, then it will have to be levelled. If any
of the weeds are woody (e.g. brambles) or there are sharp stones,
they will have to be removed or they will cut the membrane. You
would also have to do this before mowing, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.