Old 28-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:51:28 +0200, martin wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:28:27 +0200, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:17:27 +0100, WRabbit wrote:

Kay wrote:
In article , WRabbit
thewrabbit@replace invalidwithcomgmail.invalid writes
Have now been out and taken photos of my mystery insects - little
blighter wouldn't stay still!
snip

Thanks for all the thoughts so far.

That's not a vine weevil!

Well that's good (I'd sort of sussed that after looking at it closely and
taking photos).

Question is what is it?

Do you get caterpillars in the soil - I've only seem them on plants before?
Is it good or bad - do I squish or leave?

It's a butterfly or moth caterpillar and never a beetle larva. What sort I
don't know. Your photo here shows how you can tell.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect03.jpg

See the head end, bottom of the photo? It has two clearly visible sharp
brownish legs just behind it (really there are 3 pairs). These are the
real legs.
Towards the rear are 4 pairs of claspers - false legs. It's these false
legs that are a dead giveaway.

You are Mixi impersonating Tim AICMFPR.

A new prototype.
I (think) I said something useful, at least relevant, and I use commonly
accepted definitions.

--
Tim C.