Old 28-04-2005, 06:20 PM
David Ross

Larry wrote:

My newly planted Japanese maple tree was crimson red when I bought it, but
now has gone green. Everything I read said they do better in shade, so that
is where I planted it. It does get an hour or so of direct sun per day. Now
I read in places that it gets green when its in shade! Is this just a phase
of growth for warm temps? Or is it solely do to the shade? Any advice
appreciated.

Larry

I'm a docent in a public garden. In the Japanese Garden, we have
four different varieties of Japanese maples, only one of which is
red. Yes, they all turn red in the fall. But while growing in the
spring and summer, three are green.

By the way, the red one gets the most shade.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.