Old 28-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Rob Halgren

J Fortuna wrote:

I wonder how long it will take for this popular misunderstanding to change
in our culture, now that orchids are becoming more and more popular? How
many more years or decades will it take before we can say "orchids were once
regarded as fragile and hard to grow, but nowadays most people understand
that it is not so"?

I'm not sure I totally agree with what I'm about to say... But I think
there is something to be said for the 'Orchid Mystique'. Part of the
fun and excitement about growing orchids is doing something that is just
a bit naughty. "I really can't grow this... I really shouldn't grow
this... oh, I really can't resist...". *grin* And there might be an
ongoing, if perhaps subconcious, promotion of the orchid mystique going
on, especially by the people who are selling the plants. Part of the
allure of orchids is rarity and perceived difficulty of culture. That
keeps the price up a bit, too.
Of course we all know that Phalaenopsis are one of the three or four
biggest floral crops in the world. Roses are first, I think. So
orchids really are common. More common than african violets, probably.
But, realize that most people don't buy any floral crop for long term
care. People who buy roses buy cut flowers, mostly, not rose bushes.
People who buy the big box store phalaenopsis are buying a 'cut flower'
that is still on the plant, they don't expect it to last forever and
don't really want it to. Of course there are still people who buy rose
bushes and actively cultivate them (Just ask the ARS). And there are a
portion of people who buy phalaenopsis and actively cultivate them. But
I think those people are the same people, or at least the same type of
people.

I also wonder how many percent of people in the U.S. (for example) now own
orchids as houseplants, and how many more would own orchids as houseplants
if only they realized that orchids are not hard to grow and that Phals bloom
so much longer than most other flowering houseplants?

Far more than you think, most likely. But, the vast majority of these
people don't think of them as houseplants. They think of them as floral
arrangments which they can easily replace. For a while, you couldn't
open a magazine without finding a dozen pictures of orchids. Better
Homes and Gardens was filled with them in the interior decorating
sections. This Old House always seemed to have an orchid in an interior
room shot. Orchids are a fashion accessory, not a houseplant.

Joanna

P.S.: I still have not killed a single orchid thus far in 4 years of growing
orchids. Our wedding anniversary (and thus orchid growing anniversary) is
tomorrow.

You aren't trying hard enough! *grin* Seriously though, if you
haven't killed any orchids, you probably need to try growing some new
kinds. Most of the fun of orchids (to me) is learning how to grow new
things.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1