Old 28-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Toni

wrote in message

Actually Tom, I didn't mean I doubt if I'd ever buy another phal. I
meant I doubt if I'd ever buy another orchid. So far I've been lucky
with the one I own -- it has rebloomed and it is developing new
leaves. I just don't know if that luck would hold with a second plant,
and I'm cheap enough to hate the idea of throwing $20, $30, $40 or
more on something that is going to die on me. Since most of my
houseplants have been grown from cuttings, or picked up on deeply
discounted sale tables, investing double digit figures in a plant
takes a lot of faith, and I'm not sure I believe enough in my ability
to grow orchids.

I dunno- I know I waste plenty of money of things I don't have nearly as
much fun with.
In my particular case I absolutely *hate* spending money on eating out when
for the same amount of money I can buy enough groceries to feed myself for a
week. I figure an orchid can cost approximately the same as an entree and
drinks for one person, and I have a plant to enjoy for weeks afterwards.

What's your thing? Books? Vacations? Theater tickets?

Nearly everyone has some disposable income or money spent on unnecessary
items. Whether it is $1 a week or $100 a week I see it as a small price when
compaired to the hours of enjoyment you get from them.

Remember this?
If of thy mortal good thou art bereft
And of thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left,
Sell one, and with the dole
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.
--Saadi

Or orchids!