Old 28-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Rob Halgren

da wrote:

Then they must be microscopically tiny. g My windowsill is about
3/4" wide. My phal is perched on a table about a foot away from the
window. It's the only spot I've got for it.

I've got some mini-catts in 2" pots. Blooming. That might just barely
fit on a 3/4" windowsill *grin*. Many people, however, will put up a
shelf right next to the window. Don't know how yours is arranged, but a
few cheap shelf brackets (a couple dollars total) and a piece of pine
would make a nice shelf. You could even make it even with the current
windowsill. If you have a lot of houseplants, you are probably coveting
a wider windowsill anyway...

I run a humidifier for my own comfort, but whether it's enough for the
phal is up for debate. I don't test for humidity levels.

If you are comfortable, it is fine. Phals are well adapted to normal
household humidity.

I try for the standard 70 degrees, give or take a bit. The temperature
drops a bit at night, but not enough to make a difference for the
plant. Given the touchy nature of the heater units in this place, it
is best to find a comfortable temperature and try to maintain it. They
don't offer a lot of fine control. Hot and cold are easy. A
comfortable living temperature is much tougher.

In the fall, when the nights are cooler, crack open the window a bit.
A little fresh air never hurts, and you can always close it when it gets
really cold.

Then there is always. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You
enjoy one. Two would be more fun.

See Rob's Rules, below. *grin*

You would probably do well with a paphiopedilum, actually. I think
they are even easier than Phals. Look for paphs (lady slippers) with
variegated leaves. Those are usually very low light requiring, and I
haven't noticed they care too much about temperature differentials.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules:
http://littlefrogfarm.com