Old 28-04-2005, 05:19 PM
George

"CanadianCowboy" wrote in message
Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of soil
or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?

You can use bentonite clay, if you can find a source (drilling supply companies
are one. Pump supply companies are another). You can also use a product called
Schultx's aquatic plant soil mix, which is actually baked fullers earth that has
been granulated. I hope this helps. Note: Bentonite will swell to up to 20
times its dry volume when it gets wet, so it is a good idea to thoroughly wet
the clay in a tub first, using small amounts until you get the volume you need.
It is very slippery when wet, so don't get it on the ground where anyone can
step on it and slip and fall. After you've made up enough to plant your plants,
mix a little aquarium gravel in with it and simply plant your plants in a
planter, and submerge the whole thing into your pond. It won't affect your
water clarity if you do it this way.