Old 28-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Charles

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:25:55 GMT, CanadianCowboy
wrote:

Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of
soil or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?

I just use dirt. Put some gravel or rocks on top to keep the fish
out. It sometimes clouds the water a bit, but then settles.

what is sold for potting soil here floats, lots of perlite and wood
bark products.

I have read that the Schultz product will break pumps, if that is a
consideration.

Coarse sand should work, I have also read of people just letting the
plants loose in the water, no soil. Mine get that way if I don't
divide them often.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.